you're reading...
Captioned, History Connection

Hooker Street: Not What You Think

Hooker Street, located between Locust and Burnside, has a peculiar name that makes people giggle. However, as everything else, it has a logical explanation. The answer comes from Marc Houseman from the Washington Historical Society.

Hooker Street was named after the famous Civil War General Joseph Hooker. That will probably disappoint a few people...

A view of Hooker Street today. It was about the time of the Civil War when those parts of Washington were being subdivided and built upon. It was common to name streets and even communities after famous or otherwise heroic persons, which is still the practice today. Burnside Street is also named for a Civil War General.

So, next time you pass by Hooker Street, no giggling, please! 🙂

About Slava

I am a twenty-something Bulgarian girl in the USA, re-discovering the world through the lens.

Discussion

9 Responses to “Hooker Street: Not What You Think”

1. My house *might* be shown in the second photo. ; )
    Countless times over the past few years of our living here people have stopped to take photos out under the Hooker sign! Thanks for what you’re doing here through your photography!

Posted by Joey | December 21, 2011, 6:17 pm
  2. Lived on this street all my life…which would be more than “twenty-something” years. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone “giggle” in the millions of times that I’ve given my address, filled out forms, etc. Your assumptions are false – it’s doesn’t make people “giggle.” I find this post offensive.

Posted by JOEYJR | February 6, 2012, 10:29 pm
    • I am really sorry you find the post offensive, Joey! I’ve been approached by people to share some information on the name of the street, being a more unusual one, and this is what I did. The English language is tricky like that, words have more than one meaning. The post is intended to provide information, and not to offend people.

Posted by Slava | February 6, 2012, 11:15 pm
    • This Joey does not think it is offensive. This Joey lives there now and LOVES when people giggle when I give my cross street address.

General Hooker was known for his fondness of the ladies. Even paid for their services and these women were often known as “Hooker’s”.

Posted by Joey | February 7, 2012, 12:45 pm
    • First time someone told me they lived on Hooker Street, I said, “What an awful name for a street!” I think you’re in the minority, Joey Jr. Lighten up!

Posted by Junior | April 2, 2012, 5:40 pm
  3. Even Washington has a red light district.

Posted by Jackie | August 18, 2012, 9:26 am
  4. I have to admit, when I told some of my friends growing up that my grandma lived on the corner of Hooker street I definitely received a couple giggles.

Posted by Jess | September 30, 2012, 10:04 am