I’ve said it before, and I will say it again – I love your input, comments and suggestions! The dialogue is what keeps the blog alive, and I always love hearing back from you, all the Re-Discover Washington readers. Rich Coulter, a Facebook fan, had a wonderful suggestion for a blog post! Here is what he said “With the school year coming to an end soon, could you tell your fans some stuff to do in the Washington area that inexpensive or free?” I asked you what are your favorite activities to do in Washington and the area, and this is what you came up with. I took the liberty to add a few things and put them in order, but this blog post is from you for you! 🙂
Outdoor Family Activities:
1. Walk the Riverfront Trail (bike, jog, or roller skate)
– make it fun, try to identify trees and other botanical species with your kids
– have a small picnic at the Riverfront park
– do a nature photo walk
2. Go fishing at Lions Lake, kids love the fishing derbies.
3. Go to the Dog Park! Kids love to play with dogs, and so do grown-ups. Where is the Dog Park? Click here for a map.
4. Ride a bike on the Katy Trail.
5. When it’s hot, for the little ones, tot time at the City Pool is $1.
6. Enjoy a movie outdoors, Movies in the Park are always fun.
7. Take the kids to the Farmers’ Market on Saturday. It is educational and provides commerce and sustainability for our community. Music At The Market is always an enjoyable event.
8. Visit Purina Farms. It is fun for the kids & it’s FREE.
9. Go to Shaw’s Nature Reserve. $5 to get in or you can buy a season pass. They have a natural playground for kids, many hiking trails, wildflower gardens, wetland areas, and the list goes on. Also really educational and affordable classes for kids and adults throughout the summer.
10. Check the Hillermann Nursery and Florist’s website for events that they have through out the year. They always offer some free activity for the kids and they have a playground.
11. GEOCACHING! It’s a great thing to do and so many people have smart phones and GPS, so why not? : )
12. Take your kids to the playground at City Park.
Indoor Family Activities:
1. Visit the Photo Journalism Hall of Fame in Washington. It is open on the weekends and has the greatest photos to look at. Take your kids, then furnish them with a disposable camera and let their photo-imaginations run wild!
2. Story time at the libraries is fun and free.
3. Check Michael’s for craft classes.
4. Watch how fudge is made at the Fudge Shoppe and get an ice-cream cone on a hot summer day.
2014 Special Events
June 19 – Thirsty Thursday
June 21 – Clean-Up Day
June 26 – Sunset on the Riverfront
June 28 – Downtown Sidewalk Sale
July 24 – Sunset on the Riverfront
August 23 – Foodstock
August 28 – Sunset on the Riverfront
Sept. 18 – Thirsty Thursday
Sept. 25 – Sunset on the Riverfront
Sept. 26 – Chili Cook-Off
Sept. 27-28 – Fall Festival of the Arts & Crafts
October 16 – Murder Mystery Dinner
October 21 – United Way Soup Day
October 25 – Pumpkin Palooza
November 6 – Thirsty Thursday
November 21-23 – Holiday Shopping Open House
November 28 – Black Friday Shopping & Holiday Parade of Lights and Tree Lighting
November 29 – Small Business Saturday
December 4 – Kid’s Downtown Shopping
December 4, 11 & 18 – Downtown Merchant Extended Hours
December 5 – Santa on Amtrak
December 6, 13, 20 – Santa at the Market
December 14 – Holiday House Tour